Remember when we were kids? That’s how we would start a game or running race. Those were the words that signaled something was about to change. Ready was the call to get focused in your mind. Set meant to prepare your body for the sudden burst in energy. And Go meant GO – to put mind and body towards the goal, and to take action with speed and confidence!
Now that we’re adults, we probably aren’t playing the same games that begged us to comply with Ready? Set. Go! But in life (also a game?!?), most of us have goals and areas where we want to make changes that can move us closer to happiness. Changes that help us feel better about ourselves. You’re not alone in wanting to change some aspect of your life; and, if you feel stuck or simply not ready, you also have company. Many people simply are not at the ready stage. After all, change is hard – mostly because it isn’t hard wired (yet) into our thoughts and brain chemistry like the status quo is!
So how do you know when you’re ready to take action towards your goals?
Here’s a quick tool you can use. Consider the following statements. If you honestly and fully agree with most of these, then you’re mentally ready to set your plan of action.
- I recognize that there is a gap between where I am now and where I want to be.
- I am prepared to be open and truthful with myself and my coach, even if it’s uncomfortable.
- I am willing to go deep to unravel old thoughts and beliefs that may be keeping me from making the changes I want to make.
- I am familiar with the ways that I limit my own success, and I take responsibility for changing them when it is in my best interest.
- I am open to feedback and being held accountable from my coaching partner for the steps I want to take towards my goals.
Congratulations, you’re ready to set your plan of action and then take action (go!) towards the new you! Towards feeling better. Towards happiness. And the good news is that you don’t have to do this alone – reach out to a life or career coach (call/email me and we’ll arrange an initial discussion) and ask for their partnership. You’ll be glad you did!
2016 Copyright, IMAG(in)E Life Coaching LLC, All Rights Reserved.